CST 338 – Software Design – Week 01

CodingBat:

Coding Bat work was challenging for me because java was one of the first courses I took when I started my computer science journey. I have not used Java since then. The 45 minutes that Java suggested this assignment should take me was the amount of time I used to watch the videos by Nick Parlante.

The process I took to solve these problems was relatively straightforward. I read the documentation provided by CodingBat and then started to “throw code at it.” That seemed to work most of the time since the problems can be solved with one loop at most. When my code would not work and I would get stuck, I would go back to read the documentation and watch the videos again. A feature of coding bat that really helped me was the progress table. Even if your code is not correct, as long as it runs, it will let you know where it is wrong. This lets you know exactly where the issue is. This feature was key to finding the correct solution to several problems. When I first started using CodingBat, I felt a little discouraged. It took a while to get going but the format CodingBat uses is motivating. Features like getting a star after solving three problems and giving you hints when you first begin a section, allow you to build confidence with each problem you solve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog